Some of you may have visited this blog, or received a lecture from us at your college or uni recently, but you may not know yet exactly what The Fashion Careers Clinic is or how it works. Let me explain...
The Fashion Careers Clinic is based in central London, and is a careers advice service specifically for fashion, textiles, knit and accessories designers. As far as I know, it is the only service of its kind, catering ONLY for design.
The service works in 2 ways:
- The first is for designers (from undergraduates and new grads, to designers with many years of industry experience), whereupon we offer one to one coaching (face to face for 1 hour) at our base in London. We offer portfolio and CV analysis (could it be improved?), advice on networking and dealing with recruitment agencies, tips on salary negotiation, interview guidance, and anything else you need to know about the job search and how to get into fashion design or get your next role.
- Following each appointment we create a personal action plan for the designer, and also provide a 3 month follow up service called HELP DESK, where the designer is able to call or email me with any further queries, advice on projects, or to review new portfolio work.
- Designers who aren't based in London can sign up for 3 months of HELP DESK, therefore they can begin to get advice, and can then book an appointment for next time they are in London.
Some people have asked if the service is free - unfortunately not - as we don't receive any government funding. However, the prices for one to one appointments are on a sliding scale, depending on how much experience you have.
For more info, email me at email@example.com
The second service is lecturing and work shops at colleges and universities, where we do the following with BA / MA / or HND fashion, textiles and accessories students:
- Lecture on a number of topics, the most popular being Job Hunting (an overview of the whole process, inc CV, Cover Letter, Interview Tips, Networking, and Agencies) and Portfolio Presentation (General tips, examples of work from industry professionals, common mistakes, etc);
- Give short one to one tutorials (approx 15 minutes with each student) and analysis of their portfolio, in the run up to graduation.
The above lectures are focused towards final year students, in the weeks and months before final year exhibitions and Graduate Fashion Week, to make sure they are as prepared as possible for the world of work.
To date, we have lectured at The London College of Fashion, Winchester School of Art, University of Westminster, and South East Essex College. Others are planned at Colchester, Bristol, Croydon, to name a few.
If you are a Course Leader and would like more information (or if you are a student and want us to visit your college - pass this info to your tutors!), email me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to The Fashion Careers Clinic Blog!
Our blog aims to answer your questions on searching for a role in fashion/textiles/accessory design, marketing, promotion and PR. The Fashion Careers Clinic is a specialist careers advice service based in London. For more information on what we can do to assist you in your fashion job search, please visit our main site: www.fashioncareersclinic.com
If there is a subject you would like us to cover on this blog which is related to fashion job searching, please email: email@example.com with your query, and we'll do our best to answer it here.